Friday, February 11, 2011

Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes


Yay! This is my first recipe-related blog post! One of my favorite treats to bake is the cupcake, and our restaurant, T.O.PS. Pizza and Hoagies, sells some of my creations. We always keep a stash of carrot cake cupcakes on hand, and offer seasonal varieties too. So far, I've baked batches of chocolate, vanilla, and red velvet cupcakes, and decided it was time to mix things up a bit with cheesecake cupcakes!

Now, I love "The Golden Girls," and can chow down a cheesecake just as quickly as Dorothy, Rose, Blanche, and Sophia. (Well, maybe not exactly--that would give me an epic tummyache!) The thing is, I'm not too experienced with baking cheesecakes. This recipe, however, reminded me a lot of these Miniature Cheesecakes I made during my high school 4-H days, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

The first time I made these, they turned out terrible! I was left with a pile of cracked cream cheese, liquidy sour cream topping, and a mushy mess that mostly ended up in the trash. :( The only saving grace was that they tasted great! 

I couldn't let this cupcake disaster defeat me; with a few minor tweaks, I knew I could get this recipe to work. A few days later, I tried again, and the results were times better! The first major change I made was to allow the cream cheese to soften longer, which eliminated the cracking. The second change I made was to immediately remove the cupcakes from the oven after allowing the topping to set for only 5 minutes. After cooling the cupcakes on a table for about half an hour, I popped them into the fridge, where the cakes and topping could firm.

 The result? Yum! The lesson learned? If at first you don't succeed, bake, bake again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment